Foundations in Herbal Medicine: Winter 2018-19 in Toronto
Herbal Medicine Intensive
This herbal medicine intensive course is taught on 12 Sundays over 6 months from November 2018 through May 2019.
It includes 75 hours of in-class time plus individual learning and supervision/mentoring time with the instructor.
During the course, students will gain a solid knowledge base of the therapeutic actions and constituents of medicinal plants and use a holistic framework for understanding how to use plant medicines safely and effectively.
Taught by Registered Herbalist, Danette Steele, students gain incredible plant wisdom throughout the course.
Upon completion of this herbal medicine intensive, participants will:
- have learned how to make a range of herbal medicines and possess a well-stocked herbal dispensary
- have a very good working knowledge of at least 50 commonly used herbs and how to use them safely and effectively
- have an understanding of how to develop and prepare individualised herbal formulas
- have the confidence and the ability to use the herbal medicines studied in class for common health concerns
- have resources and networks for ongoing herbal learning and support
Each full day session incorporates lectures, presentations, discussions, small group work, herbal medicine making, case study reviews, and herbal tasting. The topic areas to be addressed include:
- Herbal medicine within the context of both scientific and holistic healing traditions
- Materia medica of medicinal plants – with a focus on using local and commonly found plants
- Overview of basic anatomy and physiology of the human body systems
- Manufacturing – best practices for making quality herbal preparations
- Applied case study work – for common health concerns
- Developing individualised herbal formulas and dosing ranges for adults and children
- Supervised research project work on a practical topic to be completed by each student
- Identifying reliable sources of information about plant medicine
2018 NOV 25th, DEC 9th
2019 JAN 13th + 27th, FEB 10th + 24th, MAR 10th + 24th, APRIL 14th + 28th, and MAY 5th + 19th
Pre-registration is required.
Winter Course Fee: $2000 + hst (includes text, resources and herbal supplies for dispensary)
Email for details and to register: firstname.lastname@example.org
Foundations in Herbal Medicine: Summer 2019 Course
The purpose of the summer intensive herbal foundations course is to provide herbal students and plant medicine enthusiasts with the tools and experience to plan and plant a herbal medicine garden, identify wild and cultivated medicinal plants, know the therapeutic actions of selected plants, develop skills in making quality herbal medicine and learn how to use plant medicine wisely.
The Summer 2019 Herbal Medicine Intensive Course will blend theory and practical hands-on learning. Both scientific and traditional approaches to practicing herbal medicine are included.
The topic areas covered during this course are:
- Plant medicine garden design
- Best practices for planting and transplanting your garden
- Basic field botany for herbalists – learning plant language
- Tools and processes for plant identification
- Materia medica – the medicinal uses of the local plants studied
- Plant meditation and connecting with the herbal Devas
- Ethical and sustainable wild gathering and plant harvesting practices
- Making herbal preparations – creating a herbal medicine dispensary with fresh gathered plants
- Herbal First Aid – the Garden and the healing Kit
Student learners will develop a complete herbal dispensary of botanical medicines made during the course and possess the resources and knowledge for the safe and effective usage of these herbal preparations. The classes are taught outdoors in the field with some in-class time for theory. Total live teaching time is 40 hours plus learning and individual supervision time.
Pre-registration is required.
Summer Course Fee: $1200 + hst (includes text and course supplies)
Email for more information and to register: email@example.com